Thursday, June 28, 2012

Grilled Fruit, Anyone?

Father's Day was around the corner and hubby informs me he wants everyone home and he wants to grill. That's why I love this man - he's so easy to please!

Like always, he asks me what I'd like him to make. Choices, choices! My original plan was to make a mixed grill. That might have worked out if the soyrizo I bought couldn't be sliced, but only crumbled! Oh, well, quick change of plans!

I had some Gardein Chick'n Scallopini (this was before I made my very yummy Macadamia Chick'n with Mango Salsa) and hubby volunteered to make his version of potato salad. Of course I had to throw in a different cole slaw recipe to go along with it, but I also decided to try something new. Grilled fruit. I am very happy to report how well everything turned out!

With the scallopini, we kept it very simple. Brushed the scallopini with a mixture of olive oil, salt and pepper. It was so good we had to rush out to the store to buy additional packages before the coals got cold!



Caribbean Cole Slaw

1/2 c. white vinegar
1/3 c. stevia
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. orange juice
2 t. salt
2 t. pepper
One head of red cabbage, shredded
One head of green cabbage, shredded
5 navel oranges, peeled and cut in half
One bunch of cilantro, chopped

Throw it all together and stir well. Chill until ready to eat.



Yummy in the Tummy Fruit Kabobs

Wooden skewers, soaked for about an hour
1/2 c. apple jelly
1 T. lemon juice
1/4 t. ground cinnamon
Pineapple chunks (I bought mine fresh from the produce section)
One package strawberries
One nectarine, cut into chunks
8 kiwi, peeled and cut in half
One frozen pound cake, cut into chunks

Combine the jelly, lemon juice and cinnamon in a pot over low heat, stirring often until it is smooth and bubbly. Take the soaked skewers and thread on the fruit and pound cake. Grill the kabobs in a covered grill, turning often to avoid burning. Brush on the jelly sauce as they are cooking. When the kabobs are heated through, remove them from the grill and serve.

Everyone enjoyed the food, but they all oohed and aahed over the beautiful kabobs. Even my *I don't like cooked fruit* diners loved these kabobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...