Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Fun with Food

We visit my parents every Sunday. Usually my mom serves up something to eat, anything from a full meal to banana bread. Since Easter fell on a Sunday recently, she asked if we wanted to do anything different or special. I knew she was going to cook up a spread, so I decided to bring my own version of a spread. A cheese spread!

Because it was Easter and springtime, I wanted to indulge myself by making something themed. So I did.

It's not a carrot, it's a cheese spread!


2 containers vegan cream cheese
1 c. Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds
1 can sliced black olives, drained
3 green onions, chopped
5 t. taco seasoning
Crushed nacho tortilla chips (see note)
Celery leaves
Crackers

Beat the cream cheese and Daiya until smooth. Gently fold in the olives, onions, and taco seasoning. Chill until somewhat firm. I wrapped mine in wax paper so I could easily mold it into a carrot shape. Before serving, unroll it from the wax paper and roll it in crushed nacho chips, covering the entire surface. Stick the celery leaves in the top. Place on a serving tray and surround it with crackers. Wait for the oohs and aahs.

Note: If you can't find any vegan nacho tortilla chips, I recommend you make your own. You can find an awesome recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...