Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Spicy Chickpeas and Potatoes

I haven't been a big fan of Indian food, but over the past few years have been slowly acquiring a taste for it. I don't like spicy food as a general rule, preferring the spice toned down a bit. I am always amazed when dining at our local Thai restaurant and two of my kids order their dishes highly spiced, when I go for the level just above no spice. So Indian food is another new adventure for me.

Spicy Chickpeas and Potatoes


2 c. water
1 bay leaf
1 can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drained
Olive oil
1 t. ground coriander
1/2 t. cumin
1 t. ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 t. turmeric
Half an onion, chopped
3-5 potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 c. chopped tomatoes
Cilantro

Bring the water and bay leaf to a boil, and add the garbanzo beans. Boil for about 5 minutes, then drain, but retain, the water. Saute the spices and onion until the onion is tender. Add the potatoes and the tomatoes, bring to a boil, cover and reduce to simmer. After about 20 minutes (or until potatoes are soft), add a couple of tablespoons of the reserved garbanzo water and a handful of chopped, fresh cilantro. Cook until the the liquid becomes gravy like. Salt to taste. Serve. Enjoy!

Personally, I found this just a tad too spicy for me, but my kids liked it. Next time I will tone down the spices a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...