Saturday, March 10, 2012

Bean Dip for Grownups

One of the dishes we like to whip up often is the nachos from The Engine 2 Diet. It's quick and versatile and even my meat eaters scarf it. But, me, I like to switch things up a bit from time to time, so when I came across this recipe, I thought I'd give it a go.

Bean Dip for Grownups



2 cans pinto beans, drained
4 oz. can milk green chilies, chopped
3 T. olive oil
2 t. parsley
2 T. lime juice
1/2 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. chili powder
1/2 t. garlic powder
2 cans vegetarian refried beans
8 oz. jar salsa (I prefer mild)
Tortilla chips

In a bowl combine the pinto beans, green chilies, olive oil and spices. Stir well, but gently. Heat the refried beans in a pot until warm. Spread the refried beans on a platter, top with the pinto bean mixture. Encircle the beans with the salsa. If you want to be showy, encircle the salsa with the tortilla chips. Now dig in!

This was surprisingly good. I was a little concerned that all the beans would overwhelm any other flavors, but they didn't. I think this recipe also lends itself to variations, like using black beans or some chopped green onions. At any rate, I had no leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...