Monday, March 19, 2012

Beer Battered Tempeh Fish

When I saw this recipe while browsing through a magazine while in line at the grocery store, I knew I wanted to make it. Trouble is, I didn't buy the magazine that day and when I remembered to pick it up, it was sold out. I tried unsuccessfully to find it online, and most of my vegan friends didn't have a copy. Lo and behold, one random day I was enjoying a photo album online of vegan dishes of a new friend, and there it was! I hurriedly copied the recipe, thanked her profusely, and made a run to the grocery store.

Beer Battered Tempeh Fish


2 c. flour
1 T. baking powder
1 1/2 t. salt, divided
1/2 t. cayenne pepper, divided
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. black pepper
1 1/2 bottles vegan organic pale ale, chilled
2 packages tempeh, sliced into 1/2” strips
1/4 c. malt vinegar
2 T. agave nectar
3 c. oil (I used peanut oil, because I was out of olive oil)
1/2 c. arrowroot powder

Whisk together flour, baking powder, 1 t. salt, 1/4 t. cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and black pepper. Whisk in beer until the batter is smooth and refrigerate 15 minutes. Steam tempeh for 7 minutes and cool slightly. Soak the tempeh in the malt vinegar, agave, and the remaining 1/4 t. cayenne and 1/2 t. salt.
Dredge the tempeh in the arrowroot, then dip into batter, and fry in the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When brown on one side, turn pieces over and cook until the other side is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

Tangy Tartar Sauce

1 1/2 c. vegan mayonnaise
1 T. pickle relish
4 green olives, finely chopped
2 t. minced dry onion
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. cayenne pepper

Whisk & refrigerate at least 30 minutes.

Watch the frying closely, because as you can see in the picture, some of my pieces were darker brown than I would have preferred. My kids loved it, but personally I like tofu more than tempeh, so want to try this again using sliced tofu instead. The flavor was good, however. Also, I thought the batter was a little thick, so more beer or water might help thin it some. You want a good coating, so you don't want it too thin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...