Thursday, March 1, 2012

Burgers, Potato Salad and Cole Slaw

I had this very clever idea that I would try to theme my meals this year. Ha! It's March and I've still not done any such thing. Ah well, it was a nice thought. But, wait! The year is still young and I can still shoot for the Overachiever Award! Yes!

Okay, not bloody likely, but there are still those things I can do. For instance, I am thinking the summer is a good time to introduce one weekend day devoted to trying out new burger, potato salad and cole slaw recipes. I mean, after all, I do have several to choose from.

Recently, my father-in-law was coming over to help my hubby with our garage door. For some inexplicable reason, it decided to literally fold up on itself one day while I was lowering it (via automatic controls, I should point out!) Every time my fil visits (which is usually, I hate to say, because we need his opinion and expertise on something), I like to feed him. He has his favorites that I make, and I like to make them, but this  particular day hubby got it in his head to throw something on the grill.

Lightbulb moment! Hadn't I been planning to try out different burger, potato salad and cole slaw recipes? Why, yes, I had! So, I did.



Cowboy Burgers

One package Boca Original Vegan Burgers (okay, I cheated on this part!)
Olive oil
3 onions, thinly sliced into rings
3 T. A1 Steak Sauce
Sliced tomatoes
Hamburger buns

Grill the burgers.

Heat some oil in a skillet and saute the onion slices about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Cover with a lid and simmer for about 20 minutes, again stirring frequently. Stir the steak sauce into the onions.

Layer the bun with a burger patty, topped with the onion mixture and a slice of tomato. We also slathered one half of the bun with some vegan mayonnaise.

Patriot's Potato Salad

6 c. chopped cooked potatoes
1 c. celery slices
1/4 c. green onion slices
1/2 c. chopped dill pickle
1 c. vegan mayonnaise
1 T. yellow mustard
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and mix lightly until well coated. Chill.

Marinated Cole Slaw

One head of cabbage, shredded
One green bell pepper, chopped
1 c. vegan mayonnaise
8 stalks of celery, chopped
One onion, chopped

To this mix in:

1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. vinegar
1 t. salt
2 t. sugar
Black pepper
1/8 t. hot sauce

Toss well, cover and refrigerate overnight.

So, my first little themed meal for the year was a success! The addition of the steak-sauced onions to the burgers was mm, mm, good and the two salads got rave reviews! I may not be sure how the rest of my themed ideas will work out, but I'm pretty sure the burger, potato salad and cole slaw one will continue. Now if only summer would get here...wait a minute, what am I saying! Summer's are unbearable here! At least the food will be good!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...