Friday, February 1, 2013

Potato and Kale Soup

La Fheile Bride sona daoibh! Happy St. Brigid's Day!

Part of my ancestry is Irish. Probably explains why I like potatoes so much. Growing up, my mom tells me that they referred to white potatoes as Irish potatoes, to differentiate them from sweet potatoes. Her ancestors did not emigrate during the potato famine, but came to a new country prior, so we never had that association of potatoes and starving.

So it seems fitting that on this day of celebrating Brigid, I should serve something with potatoes.

Potato and Kale Soup



One onion, chopped
Olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
Potatoes (I tend to use about nine of them, washed but unpeeled), cut into chunks
One sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
6 c. water
1 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper
One bunch of kale, washed, stems removed, and leaves chopped

Saute onions in the olive oil until softened. Add garlic and potatoes and stir to coat with the oil. Add water and bring to a boil. Let simmer about 20 minutes, until potatoes are soft. Add seasonings, and the kale and heat through. Soup will thicken as it cools.

I have seen so many varieties of this soup, and given different names like Tuscan or Persian, depending on what is added or subtracted. I added Field Roast Smoked Apple Sage to mine, cut up into bite sized pieces. In the past I've added diced tomatoes. You could also try the Field Roast Mexican Chipotle for a spicier soup.

No matter what, this soup is yummy! Enjoy!

Need some ideas on how to celebrate Imbolc? Check this out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...