Friday, June 21, 2013

Spicy Country Fried Tofu

I used to love my mom's fried chicken. She quit making it years ago, and now that I'm vegan, this pleases me enormously. However, only she could get the flavors just right. Which makes me realize it wasn't the chicken, actually, but the seasonings. I have tried to explain this to the meat eaters I know, that more often than not it is not the meat they like so much, but the flavors.

I've made several fried chick'n recipes over the years. I almost always use tofu, because it lends itself so well. Some of my various versions have included Fried Chick'n for National Fried Chicken Day and Southern Fried Tofu. I guess I really should find some kind of copycat recipes for some local fried chicken places and try them out. At any rate, this is yet another version of fried chick'n, using tofu.

Spicy Country Fried Tofu


1 c. flour
2 t. garlic salt
2 t. pepper
1 t. paprika
1/2 t. poultry seasoning
Non-dairy milk
One package of extra firm tofu, frozen, boiled, pressed, sliced
Olive oil

Combine the seasonings in a large Ziploc baggie and shake to mix well. Pour the milk in a shallow bowl. Dip each slice of tofu in the milk, then add to the spice baggie and shake to coat evenly and well. Do this until each slice of tofu has been coated. Heat the oil in a frying pan. You want enough oil to come up the sides of the tofu. Fry each piece until a beautiful golden brown. Serve. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...