Thursday, June 5, 2014

Homestyle Barbecue Sandwiches

I live in Texas, and here, barbecue is just a thing. A big thing. There's probably something wrong with you if you don't eat it or cook it or, well, yeah. Not vegan friendly, to be sure.

Before I was vegan, my husband and I used to go out for barbecue sandwiches. Now he goes for the barbecue and I get fried okra. I needed to remedy this.

So I did.

Homestyle Barbecue Sandwiches


One can tomato puree
1 c. water
1 c. barbecue sauce

Heat everything in a frying pan. Add either vegan beef strips or vegan ground beef and heat through. Serve on buns with your favorite toppings. We like sliced onion.

I made this two different times, using either the beef strips or the ground beef. The beef strips were from Trader Joe's, and the ground beef was Gardein. I gotta say I much preferred the ground beef to the strips. It seemed to absorb the sauce better and stretch further.

Serve with chips, or French fries, or fried okra!

Warning - they are messy! Keep lots of napkins close by!

Needless to say, I am happy to resume my place amongst the barbecue lovers, vegan and cruelty free style!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...