Friday, May 15, 2015

Gigande Beans like Whole Foods

When my daughter got married last year, Whole Foods catered her reception. After the newly marrieds left for their honeymoon, we were left with the cleanup. Because so much food was left, I didn't want to throw it away, so we packed it all up, taking some to the home of the newlyweds to enjoy upon their return, and the rest we brought home. One of the items were these really large seasoned beans. I liked them so much, I ate a spoonful every day until they were gone, as a snack.

I tried asking about them at the Whole Foods closest to me, but no one seemed to know anything about them, despite the fact they are pictured on their catering brochure. Any time I visited a different Whole Foods, I would look for them on their salad bar. I finally did find them, oddly enough, at one of the smaller stores. And that was when I got a better idea on how to make them.

Seasoned Gigande Beans


One pound of gigande beans (they may be labeled large limas or Peruvian beans)
3 or more cloves garlic, chopped
About a tablespoon each of mint, thyme, and parsley
One lemon, squeezed
Olive oil

Soak, then cook the gigande beans until done. Once drained and cool, stir in the remaining ingredients. Serve. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...