Thursday, October 10, 2013

Crunchy Ramen Salad

I know I have complained and griped and moaned about the heat this past summer, but what I've realized is it affects me in ways I don't understand until it is gone. It makes me lazy and uninspired. I feel like a slug when the temps are high, and just don't want to do anything. So, since we've had a hint of real autumn weather recently, two things have happened: I've started cooking real food once again and even have picked up some of my ufo craft projects and actually completed several. Yay me! Which means I am returning to blogging. Yay me, again!

I remember years ago having discussions about what poor college kids eat, and the one thing that comes up repeatedly is ramen noodles. I've even seen websites in the past dedicated to the multitude of ways these cheap noodles can be turned into something other than what is on the package directions.

I should point out that vegan buyer beware: many brands aren't vegan. I'm not talking about the chicken, beef, shrimp, etc. (duh) seasoning packets, but the Oriental ones. Kind of like how surprised I was to learn I couldn't even eat the steamed mixed vegetables at a local Chinese fast food chain because they weren't vegan. Really? The noodles themselves are often okay, and, like in this recipe, I don't even use the seasoning packet at all.

Crunchy Ramen Salad


1/2 c. sunflower seeds (note: not all of these are vegan, either! Seriously, I'm beginning to think it is a conspiracy.)
2 packages ramen noodles, broken up
3/4 c. slivered almonds
1/2 c. vegan butter
Several leaves romaine lettuce, torn into small pieces
One bunch green onions, chopped
One bunch (? Not sure what to call this) broccoli crowns, cut up
Dressing
3/4 c. olive oil
1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
3/4 c. sugar (make sure it's vegan! Yeah, really, most sugar isn't, either. See above about conspiracy!)
1 T. soy sauce
1/2 t. salt

Saute the sunflower seeds, noodles and almonds in the butter until lightly browned. In a bowl add the lettuce, green onions and broccoli. Add the sautéed seed mixture. Mix together the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad before serving. Stir to coat everything well. Serve. Enjoy!

I was hoping for some leftovers for the next day. There weren't any. Of course, I did take this to a potluck, but whatever. It was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...