Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Texas Twister Hot Dogs

My daughter moved out recently and while visiting, she wanted to show me the fabulous vegan section she'd discovered at a grocery store near her. I have to admit, I was impressed! There I found, for the first time, the Tofurky Jumbo Hot Dogs as well as the regular Tofurky Hot Dogs that we like. I bought one package of each.

Of course this meant hot dogs would be on the menu, but I didn't want the usual: a simple hot dog with mustard. I do make an excellent Wolf Brand Chili knockoff (you can find it here), if I do say so myself, but I wanted to try something different. I consulted my recipe collection and found one I had cut out from a newspaper years ago. It was different but surprisingly good.

Texas Twister Hot Dogs


One can pinto beans
1/2 of a green bell pepper, chopped
One onion, chopped
1/4 c. ketchup
1 t. chili powder
1/2 t. oregano
1/2 t. garlic salt
One package of hot dogs

In a pot, combine the undrained beans, green pepper, onion, ketchup and seasonings. Simmer 20 minutes. Cook the hot dogs according to package directions. Put the hot dog in a hot dog bun and top with the bean mixture. Top with vegan shredded cheddar, if you'd like. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...