Monday, October 21, 2013

Seitan Pot Roast in the Crock Pot

I can't even remember the last time I had pot roast. Actually, I can. It was three years ago, when I made this pot roast. I think we were overdue.

I tweaked this recipe a bit, and it was sooo much better. Instead of Braggs Aminos, I used soy sauce. I used 1-1/4 c. vital wheat gluten and 1/4 c. garbanzo bean flour. I changed the measurements to 1/2 t. thyme and 1/4 t. black pepper. I did not sprinkle the vegetables with salt and pepper, but did sprinkle the minced garlic and another 1/2 t. thyme over all of it.

I also cooked it on high for 5 hours, then turned it to low for one hour.

This was the result:


It was juicy and delicious. My dough seemed wetter than I recall, and that may have been the difference. It did not have the typical wheaty taste one finds in seitan, and I believe that is due to the addition of the garbanzo bean flour.

I had just enough leftovers to keep to make some kind of hash for tomorrow's supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...