Monday, September 21, 2015

Barbecued Chick'n Sandwich

Ugh, I have been sick for the last few days. I've got some major Vegan Mofo catching up to do! I'm just glad that my taste buds are finally working again. When everything tastes like how you imagine cardboard tastes, you just don't have much energy for trying new recipes.

So, returning! I'll be spending the next few posts getting caught up. Without further ado...

The challenge for Day 17 of Vegan Mofo is: Make (or eat!) a traditional local dish. Following on the heels of the cooking for Obama post, I mentioned how when the President visited Texas, he had barbecue. Texans LOVE barbecue. There are barbecue cookoff competitions throughout the year, but mostly during the time to coincide with the annual rodeo. I won't go off on that subject, but, yeah. Gives me the major creeps. The other problem with barbecue here is the super focus on beef. If it isn't beef, it almost doesn't count as barbecue.

Well, I'm breaking all those trends. Not only is my barbecue NOT beef, it's cruelty-free!

Barbecued Chick'n Sandwich


2/3 c. lemon juice
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. brown sugar
6 oz. can tomato paste
2 T. butter
2 t. chili powder
1 t. liquid smoke
1 t. molasses
1/2 t. salt
One onion, chopped
One green bell pepper, chopped
One package gardein teriyaki chick'n strips (don't use the teriyaki sauce)

Combine all of the ingredients in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 30 minutes. Serve on hamburger buns. Enjoy!

You can cut up the chick'n strips into smaller pieces, if you like.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...