Wednesday, September 23, 2015

My Dad's Chili, Veganized

The Day 20 challenge for the Vegan Mofo is: Veganize an old family recipe. This one was very easy for me, since I veganized this recipe years ago.

My dad can cook, but it has traditionally fallen to my mom. Who, btw, is a very good cook. I never could get my fried chicken as good as hers. Oh, lightbulb! I need to try that one now, veganized! Anyway, my dad has his repertoire, and it's pretty darned good. One of them I grew up on was his chili, with fried potatoes on the side. I have NEVER been able to get those potatoes just right. It must just be his magic touch. But his chili, now that I can do. The secret, of course, is using an iron skillet.

My Dad's Chili, Veganized


One onion, diced
One package of gardein beefless grounds
2 cans kidney beans, drained
2 cans diced tomatoes
Salsa

Saute the onion in oil until softened, then add the rest of the ingredients. The salsa is as much or as little as you like. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the mixture. Mix well, and turn the burner to simmer, and let simmer 20-30 minutes. We always serve it over rice. And seriously, use an iron skillet. It makes a difference.

This is soooo not like the chili found here in Texas, but my dad isn't from Texas. So there.

And, since I'm still playing catch up with the Vegan Mofo, the challenge for Day 21 is: What three endless food supplies would you take if you were going to be stranded on an island? (Imagine your nutritional needs have been met, these are a bonus!)

Well, if you've noticed my blogs, you will notice one for tea. Don't hate, I've neglected it. But I drink tea on a daily basis. So, my three endless food supplies are tea (duh!), all varieties of nuts (shelled already, of course. No reason to make things difficult!), and all varieties of beans (can I include all varieties of rice in there, too? Or is that cheating?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...